[Owasp-testing] Fwd: BETA Release of OWASP LiveCD ready for testing!!!!!

Eoin eoin.keary at owasp.org
Mon Jan 15 09:24:53 EST 2007

FYI

More fun and games!!

regards,
Eoin

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Joshua Perrymon <josh at packetfocus.com>
Date: 14-Jan-2007 21:48
Subject: BETA Release of OWASP LiveCD ready for testing!!!!!
To: owasp-livecd at lists.owasp.org
Cc: Eoin <eoinkeary at gmail.com>

"LabRat" and is part of the OWASP Autumn of Code sponsorship. The distro is
focused on providing all of OWASP tools and documents on a bootable CD. The
goal is to have a portable distro that can be used by professional
penetration testers,security admins, Students, or anyone interested in
computer security to perform work,training, or research. All you have to do
is burn the .ISO to DVD or start under Vmware/Virtual PC and you will have a
full Linux desktop environment loaded with OWASP tools and
documents.Anotherinstant advantage is that the CD can be distributed
within testing teams and
new hires to ensure everyone has the same tools without spending a week
setting up a laptop. Same scenario applies for students learning computer
security. The CD contains the WebGoat application designed for learning
about application vulnerabilities utilizing easy to follow lessons.( Version
5 will be included this month)

Details:
I finally got back from holidays and spent the weekend to finish up the BETA
version of the CD. It's quite large right now weighing in at 802mb so it's
just big enough to use a DVD and not a CD. This will be much smaller once
the first round of testing has been completed. The current release v08 seems
to be fairly stable and works on most platforms I have tested on. When the
CD boots up you will notice that all the OWASP tools and docs have icons on
the desktop and can also be found in the programs menu. What I tried to do
was follow the current OWASP  naming convention -Releases,Beta, and Alpha.This
keeps everything organized and also helps adding new tools and documents.

Issues:
The CD is stable but I'm not having problems starting WebGoat v4 again for
some reason. I had this working all weekend and on several versions I made
yesterday- However, when I burned the final Beta version it stopped for some
reason. ( I may have corrupted a permission or something when I was chrooted
back into the filesystem.)

What's Next?
I have not added tools yet other than OWASP docs and tools. Once the OWASP
material is added and verified the specialty tools such as VOIP, RFID, and
Wireless will be added.

BETA TESTERS:
We encourage everyone to download the .ISO and give us feedback on what we
can do to make it better. Also, what tools or docs would you like to have on
the CD? The URL to the mailing list is owasp-livecd at lists.owasp.org  . I can
also be contacted directly - livecd at packetfocus.com

Download:
The distro can be downloaded from the PacketFocus website (
http://packetfocus.com/hackos/AOC_Labrat-ALPHA-0008.iso) ((800mb)) After you
download it just burn it to a DVD or use something like Vmware server to try
it out. Vmware is a free download now (www.vmware.com)

This project was sponsored by OWASP Autumn of Code 2006.

*Joshua Perrymon- CE|H,OPST,OPSA,ISECOM Trainer
**Hacking Director
PacketFocus Security Solutions*

Email: josh at packetfocus.com
Skype: packetfocus
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/packetfocus
Office: Sydney, Australia
Tel:(61)02 8005 1420
Office: Birmingham, Alabama
Tel:(1)205 383 4820

LEGAL CONFIDENTIAL: The information in this e-mail and in any attachment may
contain information which is legally privileged. It is intended only for the
attention and use of the named recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are not authorized to retain, disclose, copy or distribute
the message and/or any of its attachments. If you received this e-mail in
error, please notify me and delete this message. Thank-you.

--
Eoin Keary OWASP - Ireland
http://www.owasp.org/local/ireland.html