[Owasp-testing] Brainstorming about the new Index

Mark Roxberry mark.roxberry at mpi.us.com
Wed Oct 11 21:43:42 EDT 2006

In terms of a purely Penetration testing framework viewpoint -

Unit Testing can be very useful in the Discovery phase (Plan, Discover, Attack,
Report) - I can use a tool like JAD, .NET Reflector, et al to decompile a web
app - function by function.  Then using JUNIT or NUNIT or any other testing
suite, automate the unit test per function and fuzz for vulnerabilities.  That,
to me, is an appropriate penetration testing exercise.

About hybrid attacks,  I've heard of contests where the cracker who used the
most types of attacks won.  For example, here's a bunch of different attacks in
a session:  breach a firewall, arp poison a router, buffer overflow a server,
rootkit the server, sniff the network, steal userids and passwords, send
e-mails from within the mail network, and on and on.  It's the antithesis to
risk analysis and layering defense ;)  It would be helpful to identify patterns
- not sure if I've seen any public work on Web attack patterns.

Mark

Mark Roxberry, CISSP, CEH
Principal Architect

Meridian Pact Incorporated