[Owasp-testing] Defining Risk

Eoin eoinkeary at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 07:01:55 EST 2006

Yep agreed.
One thing I've always hated about assigning risk is to use these formulas
which at times do not take context into account, if the vulnerability is
internal facing only, is it exposed to unauthenticated users or
authenticated only.
There must be a rule of thumb relating to assigning how much of a risk a
particular vulnerability is but avoiding complex academic formulas.

To me Risk is as simple as defining how damaging a vulnerability exploit may
be if exploited and how easy/accessible it is to commit the exploit.
Also taking into account if the vulnerability is externally facing or is it
internal on a "secure" LAN segment?

-ek

--
Eoin Keary OWASP - Ireland