[OWASP-TESTING] Application DoS Section

Mauro Bregolin mauro.bregolin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 10:39:04 EDT 2005

Larry,

I agree on what you're saying, and in fact it might not be beneficial to
modify the whole document.
However, while causing a DoS might be pointless in the scope of testing,
citing DoS as a possible outcome of an attack might have some value, if not
for the reason that you might cause a DoS yourself when testing.
It is true that this is more likely with some vectors (e.g., malfunctioning
BOFs) than others, where you have to do it purposefully. SQL injection
probably is of the latter kind; though, if you can play with UPDATE commands
you can do quite some harm and one could argue that if you don't know the
internal semantics you might inadvertently cause unintended damage and
consequently DoS.
Hope it doesn't appear too confusing...

Mauro

Cc: owasp-testing at lists.sourceforge.net

Shields, Larry wrote:

> However, by this same logic, one could put the Buffer Overflow DoS
> into that same type of category.  So I'm willing to listen to opinions

> from others on this... Do we want to include a catch-all of other
> possible ways someone could make the application unavailable if they
> used other attacks to compromise something in the application, like
> those we discussed here?

Yes, I think that's best. Notice that a buffer overflow might not
inmediately lead to code execution but can lead to a DoS (consider an
application running on an obscure processor or a known vulnerability
with no exploit code: you can find a buffer overflow in an obscure
application (by simpkly feeding long parameter values) but he might not
be able to debug the application in place in order to determine how to
setup the buffer overflow to execute code.

Regards

Javier