[OWASP-TESTING] Next stage

Stephen Venter stephen.venter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 15:42:09 EDT 2005

Hi Dan

Before you re-publish this document with the following statement in it:
"Token storage? (If not marked as 'secure' a cookie will be stored on
hard disk)"

Please can you change it, as it is NOT correct - which I tried to
explain before:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=11721627

The storage / caching of cookies & http content can be influenced by
the "Max-Age=" attribute of the "Set-Cookie:" header, or the
"Pragma:", "Expires:" and "Cache-Control:" headers (for caching
proxies) - it is NOT affected by the "secure" attribute of the
"Set-Cookie:" header [which is intended to stop a end-user client from
sending a cookie value over HTTP, i.e. unencrypted].

Refer to:
 http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2109.html
 sections:
- 4.2.2  Set-Cookie Syntax
 - 4.2.3  Controlling Caching
- 10.1.2  Expires and Max-Age
 - 10.2  Caching and HTTP/1.0

Also, reference should be made to other RFC's, like:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2616.html

Perhaps I could be involved in / run with the "Token storage" section
of the testing guide.  Perhaps I should also put my name down for the
"Improper use of cache control directives" section.
I would also like to offer assistance with other sections, like SQL &
XSS injection sections, Parameter analysis, Bypassing logon process,
and Parameter Manipulation sections like HTTP header manipulation and
URL parameters.

Cheers
Steve