[OWASP-TESTING] finally!

Keary, Eoin eoin.keary at ie.fid-intl.com
Fri Apr 15 09:58:11 EDT 2005

Personally we view whitebox as audit and blackbox as testing.
Audit we see, say, the source code and review if it conforms to internal
policy and best practice.
Testing is from a user perspective, what the user sees. No code exposed just
inputs and corresponding outputs.

Regarding port scanning and footprinting these are initial phases of a pen
test, the assessment phase. And it seems correct to cover assessment tasks
in their own section.
Information leakage is also a part of the assessment phase but is closely
related to the attack phase as a slight adjustment to the attack vector can
lead to an exploit.

Regarding patching and versions of appserver this is related to the "secure
code environment": this includes configuration and deployment, versioning,
administration policy and redundancy/failover.