[OWASP-TESTING] OWASP Testing Project Part 1.doc

Davis, Carl cdavis at fnni.com
Tue Mar 30 09:38:07 EST 2004

Okay...I'm back alive & well.  My recent travels have taken me to Atlanta
(for the recent WebInspect SPI course - can possibly add some content
regarding pros/cons of scanners if there is still room and after the
Principals are done) and then half-way around the globe for an engagement
where I ran into quite a few time-consuming issues.  Anywho, I have been
actively working on the 'Principals' all the while and will send out a draft
of what I have this evening (rain or shine).  I apologize for leaving
everyone hanging.

- Carl

To: owasp-testing at lists.sourceforge.net

Mark,

Great progress. I have a few structural comments to offer for what they're
worth.

As I read the threat modelling section, it occurred to me that it is a bit
different that the "testing techniques' that it is listed as a peer with.
It seems to me that all the testing techniques rely on some understanding of
the security requirements, which in turn are hopefully based on a decent
understanding of the risk. Do you think it would be useful to pull out the
parts of that section that are most useful during requirements gathering,
and change the rest into some sort of design/architecture review?.

I found Chapter 5 - Principles of Testing to be a bit too far down in the
document for me.  I like to get the principles out early and then develop
them throughout.  That might just be a style issue though.

-- Jeff