[OWASP-TESTING] Re: [Pen Testing Checklist Feedback]

Daniel Daniel at deeper.co.za
Fri Jul 30 02:26:19 EDT 2004

Hi Simon,

I have never liked, or will, the idea of a IDS thinking about performing
any defence mechanism on the network without some human checking to see if
its ok.
A while ago when i was pentesting a load of networks, i managed to
discover that Realsecure was running with the infamous "if you see bad
traffic, add a firewall rule" option. The end result was me adding a load
of rules which cut this whole segment off from the web and ended up
closing down their online trading app for an hour.

I believe that accounts should be locked out after X amount of failed
logins. Without this feature enabled, the app is very open to abuse
attacks.
I do agree though that both of them do contradict themselves, and i
realised this when i was putting the whole checklist together, but in some
weird way they need to be both there.

Daniel

Tapped away... Booth, Simon