[OWASP-TESTING] OWASP Testing Project V1.0 - Chapter 3 - The Testing Framework Explained.doc

Glyn glyng at moiler.com
Sun Feb 29 18:17:21 EST 2004

Absolutely - the nature of consultancy is that you're buying a person's
skills for a period of time, and better be damn sure they have the skills to
sell.  But I think that relates as much to a code review as app testing.

If we consider that Risk is a product of both the impact of the issue and
its exposure, then the data interfaces and particularly the user facing ones
are most likely to present the highest risks.

We've found that while a code review will identify most of the problems
within an app, it can be a time-intensive (and therefore costly) process,
and a lot of effort may be focussed on areas that aren't really exposing the
application to attack.  Analogies can be drawn with infrastructure
pen-testing - you should be looking for all the problems, but a phased
approach to find the critically exposed ones is at least a start point.

Equally, with app testing it is easy to miss serious problems that might not
be immediately visible from the 'outside' that would be picked up in a code
review.

I think both are highly valuable - app testing allows the highest exposed
problem areas to be found and access to the source code allows a thorough
analysis.

Obviously I'm coming from an external consultants perspective and getting
the right ROI balance is essential.  We tend to impart code-review knowledge
to the client through workshops with the developers, review their own
security reviews and supplement that with app-security testing and targeted
code review.

I think we should take our usual approach of describing both methods with
their respective pros and cons, and let the reader decide.  With unlimited
budget and resource, the whole plan can be followed.  With reduced resource
an educated decision can be made about which parts of the guide to embrace.

These kinds of debates have raged through all my and your time as a
Consultants & are likely to carry on a while, I think!