[OWASP-TESTING] RE: [OWASP-TESTING] Testing Sign Up

Mark Curphey mark.curphey at foundstone.com
Sun Feb 22 19:30:53 EST 2004

BTW Nish, of course if you had some time to write about these techniques
as described, no one would complain ;-)

  _____

		To: owasp-testing at lists.sourceforge.net
		Subject: [OWASP-TESTING] Testing Sign Up

		OK so looks like we are all happy with the basic outline
we have today
		for Part 1, so I am afraid to say its time to sign up to
complete a
		section before the end of next week as we discussed. By
the way end of
		next week should mean 6pm Friday 27th Feb Pacific time I
think. I know
		its RSA etc but ....

		Please please don't sign up to do anything if you are
going to not pull
		out all the stops to meet the deadline, but please
please please do sign
		up for something !

		I suggest we have a few people working on each section,
if we have more
		that 6 volunteers. Divide and conquer baby !

		This is what I think each chapter in Part 1 needs to
achieve. And
		remember Part 1 is the What, Why, When, Where and Part 2
will be the
		How.

		1. Introduction
		This chapter should set the scene of web applications,
OWASP and how
		people can use this guide

		2. Reasons for Testing
		This chapter should outline the end goal of building
secure software and
		explain how testing should be performed against
requirements or
		standards, best practices etc and what you can aim to
achieve through
		testing.

		3. Scope of Testing
		This chapter should set the scene that testing web
applications (or web
		software as I am coming to call it myself) covers
testing requirements,
		designs, process and implementations i.e. isn't about
scanning.

		4. Principles
		This chapter will be a set of high level principles such
as "Test Early
		and Often". I think this would be good to debate over
the list this
		week.

		5. Testing Techniques
		This chapter should provide an overview of the types of
testing
		techniques that exist including unit testing and code
coverage / review,
		pen testing, threat modeling requirements and design
testing etc. I
		think it should explain where each maybe appropriate in
an SDLC and the
		advantages and disadvantages of each.

		6. Testing Framework Explained
		This chapter should outline a proposed framework for
testing that will
		incorporate the techniques described at various places
in the SDLC. It
		will be more of a suggested way to create a testing
process in an
		organization.

		I will sign up to do Chapter 1 on my own (as its easy)
and Chapter 5.

		Anyone else have any specific interests ?

		Mark Curphey
		Consulting Director
		Foundstone, Inc.
		Strategic Security

		949.297.5600 x2070 Tel
		781.738.0857 Cell
		949.297.5575 Fax

		http://www.foundstone.com <http://www.foundstone.com/>

		This email may contain confidential and privileged
information for the
		sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or
distribution by others
		is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please
		contact the sender and delete all copies of this
message. Thank you.

  _____

<http://ca.personals.yahoo.com/>