[OWASP-TESTING] Comment on testing guide and contrib for part 2

Orac orac at uncon.org
Wed Aug 4 07:16:01 EDT 2004

I know the automated scanners are not good practice from a complete
security solution and wouldn't rely on them as anything more than
preliminary reconnaissance in a code review.

The benefit is that for the investment of 30 minutes I can get a
(admittedly very partial) view on the quality of some code that would
never get reviewed otherwise, perhaps because the project is too small
financially to pay for the work or because the Business Impact of a
compromise of the system is too low. Unfortunately we need very much to
prioritise the time taken over security as there are many systems and
budgets are limited.

 From previous experience I have been able to grade suppliers based on
previous code reviews / pen tests in such a way that I know when I have
to fight to get involved because I don't think the supplier 'gets it'.
Being able to automatically scan across all code would also give me
another good measure to identify suppliers who I should worry about. It
doesn't act as a test of security, passing an automated scan would
still require further work on high Business Impact systems but it does
allow me to to do more with less on the smaller ones that slip through
the gaps :)

I am in the very early stages of looking at a parser for ASP (classic
at the moment as many of our suppliers have yet to move to .Net) which
can hopefully be used to search for previously identified bugs or flaws
so that it can get better over time. I have to date done this with
regexes but due to differences in coding styles these tend to be
supplier specific. If it ever gets useful I will share it but it's a
long way from that at the moment.

In any case a 3rd party (or at least End User) review test process
would be fantastic. We have implemented security in to various levels
of our vaguely ITIL compliant custom IT project process so I can't
really punt that out but am willing to pitch in with advice on a
standard approach.

Regards

Orac