[OWASP-TESTING] Comment on testing guide and contrib for part 2

Mark Curphey mark at curphey.com
Wed Aug 4 06:49:05 EDT 2004

I think there are a couple of things that might be worth considering.

1. Consider testing to be split (down the road) for 3rd party reviews and 1st party reviews.

The original intent of this project was from a 1st party perspective ie I wor for bank x and want tobuild a testing program for my own company.

I guess we have mainly people who do third party reviews on the list.

2. Gary McGraw says it best;

"If you fail a penetration test you know you have a problem. If you pass a penetration test you have no idea that you dont have a bad problem."

I am working on building some tools that benchmark the automated scanners. You know they typically find less than 10% of vulns in a standard site right ?