[OWASP-TESTING] Comment on testing guide and contrib for part 2

orac orac at uncon.org
Wed Aug 4 04:48:44 EDT 2004

Hi Mauro,

I have a similar issue in when I can get at the SDLC for testing. The
end-user organisation I am working in at the moment officially "does not
do in-house development". All the line of business applications (And
there are many) are sourced from external vendors and the closest we get
to a SDLC is the system design stage where off-the-shelf components are
glued together.

There is a certain amount of completed system penetration testing but I
am finding the value of that to be fairly low as the vendors either
cannot fix the bugs at that late stage or want so much money to do it
that the business decides to take the risk.

I am seeing some value in component level tests during the design phase.
The result being that we may not be able to alter the source of a COTS
component but if we spot the problems early enough we can architect
around them in the glue code.

Due to the fact that these are limited in scope and custom to the
component and it's role in the architecture they tend to be tested
in-house as it is barely worth it for a 3rd party testing company to get
involved.

Given the time and cost of code reviews we just don't get to do them
unless serious problems are thrown up by any testing that is performed.
It is a frustrating position sometimes that could be helped by having
automated scanning tools for glue-code languages like (in my experience
here) ASP, JSP, T-SQL and PL-SQL. Being able to at least run an
automated scanner over code that is unlikely to be manually reviewed can
at least identify vendors who have code quality issues that can then be
used as justification for more detailed work.

Anyway just throwing in the perspective from the end users.

Regards

Orac

<snip>

> Concerning SQL Injection, actually those
> vulnerabilities were
> found and exploited during pen tests (all of them).
> In my experience, clients are not very keen in having
> grey/white box assessments, not to mention let you snoop
> through their code. I'm not saying they don't do this, but
> usually when we were called in it was for pen test or
> application assessments black-box style. People dealing with
> security - the guys who called us
> - usually managed deployed applications;
> intervening in the SDLC is somehow harder for an
> external organization,
> partly because one tends to "wash dirty laundry at
> home", as an
> italian saying puts it.
> Maybe others have different experiences...
>
> Mauro

<snip>