[OWASP-TESTING] Chapter 5 BlackBox Testing

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at aspectsecurity.com
Sun Apr 4 11:40:50 EDT 2004

This seems to be shaping up nicely.  I think there should be a separate
mention of access control testing (aka authorization). Many web sites simply
rely on the user interface to enforce access control -- as long as the link
isn't there, you can't get to it right??  And most sites that have created
an access control mechanism have not implemented it to be tamperproof and
non-bypassable.  The test procedure is fairly simple.  Using a highly
privileged role, figure out how to access sensitive assets and functions.
Then using a less privileged role, attempt to access them.  If you succeed,
their mechanism is flawed.

--Jeff