[OWASP-TESTING] Paper review

Nick Randolph randolph at seawa.org.au
Tue Dec 3 23:29:38 EST 2002

David and others

Firstly I would like to apologise for not having taken an active role in this project until now.  I have however just looked at the latest release and it appears to be very impressive.

A couple of initial comments:

1)	Coming from a software engineering background (rather than a purely testing and/or security background) one of the areas that we focus on is the integration of testing into product development.  In line with most Agile product development methodologies we believe that testing should be done in parallel (if not before - ie preparation of test cases) with product development.  From what I have read to date, it appears as if there is a focus on post-development security testing.  In fact, to quote (pg 17 - Implementation review) - "An implementation review assumes the tester actually has a "finished" web application/component/service to use as his 'target'".  Whether this was the intention or not, it conveys the message that this should be done after the development has been completed.

2)	The section titled "Implementation Review" is essentially where the actual testing is done.  Is the word "review" appropriate.  Development life cycles typically follow the requirements-design-build-test cycle (even with the Agile methodologies that use micro cycles).  Would it not be appropriate to have a similar flow eg.  Application review (determines testing requirements), Test design and planning (develops Test plan), Test execution (equivalent to Implementation review) and Results Analysis.

3)	The section entitles "Security Management Review" is really a review of the processes in place within the organisation to ensure security is maintained and improved over time.  It might be better to reflect this in the title with some mention of Process Improvement (countless Quality/Process standards can be quoted here!!)

Nick