[Owasp-summit-2013] (Why Summits are special) Re: Cancelation of the OWASP Summit 2013

Dinis Cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Mon Apr 9 22:47:37 UTC 2012

Andrew, the idea of OWASP paying its leaders to work on OWASP projects has
expired a couple years ago (at the last SoC actually).

Chris made a number of good points against it and It is one of those ideas
that could actually implode our entire community. This is why I pushed hard
for the concept of '*OWASP Leaders cannot be paid by OWASP*' while I was a
at the Board. In some ways is it a self-defense mechanism for OWASP

Now, of course that ideally those leaders should be paid for their work and
effort. It just can't be OWASP funds.

I think the Linux Foundation example is interesting, and I can see that
working where for example ESAPI, AppSensor, O2, Testing Guide, etc...
coders/writers are funded by (for example) an ESAPI Foundation or companies
that want to see it evolve. And OWASP must be independent in this. In a way
it is the project that needs to be relevant enough that it has financial
supporters that want to 'invest' on it (what OWASP can do, it is make that
'investment' possible).

Unfortunately you have not been able to attend one of our last Summits, so
I think your view of its effectiveness are affected by that. The energy and
work that it is done is off the charts. That said, yes we should measure if
effectiveness (if anything to know what to do better next time)

That said, we absolutely need to put a lot more energy and resources into
our projects, and I go back to the idea that the first thing that we need
to do is* to review them all.*

We still don't know we have!!

There is so much work and energy that has been put into our projects. And
the least we should do to respect the effort those project leaders put in,
is to review them and to figure out the next steps for each of those
projects.

Dinis Cruz