[Owasp-summit-2013] (Why Summits are special) Re: Cancelation of the OWASP Summit 2013

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Sat Apr 7 14:39:01 UTC 2012

Thanks Abe for providing one of the best descriptions of what makes Owasp
Summit's special and worthwhile doing (please read his post below).

If you've never been to one of our Summits, this is why they are so
important and necessary (Imagine what we could achieve with regular Summits)

Dinis Cruz

On 6 Apr 2012, at 18:14, Abraham Kang <abraham.kang at owasp.org> wrote:

Although, I agree with Jim in spirit.

I have to admit that I was able to get things accomplished at the 2011
Summit that would have taken longer had I not attended the Summit.

I was kind of Stuck on the DOM based XSS cheat sheet because there were
just so many existing ways and new ways of exploiting DOM based XSS.  I was
lost in trying to understand the exploiting instead of focusing on the
Mitigating.

The Summit gave me an opportunity to work with some of top guys  ( Jim
Manico, Stefano Di Paola, Robert Hansen, Gareth Hazes,  Chris Schmidt,
 Mario Heiderich, Eduardo Nava, Achim Hoffman, John Stevens, Arian Evans,
Mike Samuel, Jeremy Long, Dinis Cruz, and others please forgive me if I
forgot to mention you) in Web security to get their ideas and refine mine.
I also was able to bring up issues that were affecting adoption by large
enterprises of OWASP materials with Jeff Williams and others.

Finally, I was also able to meet the people interested in OWASP Web
Development Guide (which I have been trying to reboot but having started a
new job have failed to make much progress on) to discuss issues related to
the guide and try to address them.

All of this would have been impossible to do without the summit.

I was also hoping to suggest that this year we try to bring other security
members of the community that haven't traditionally participated (iSec
Partners, Gotham Digital Science, etc.) in OWASP to the summit as I have
great respect for those guys and think they could contribute greatly to the
success of OWASP.

The conference is viewed as being private but I thought it was open to
anyone interested in contributing to OWASP.  I think people would be
willing to pay to attend a conference where they could speak to other
leaders in informal meetings on topics of interest and provide the
additional benefit of OWASP deliverables.

We are a very disperse group, it helps to get people together to work
things out, discuss and see the other people as human beings. I have to
admit that the conference was also a lot of fun.  I got to laugh with
people I would have never had the chance to before this.  Jokes don't seem
to go over as well when they are made over email.  I got to hear stories of
(Larry's or Chris's -- the last names have been omitted to protect the
Guilty) midget experiences/encounters.  I got to know of other people
skeleton's in their closets.

This allowed all of us to bond in a way that couldn't happen without a
conference like this.

Another benefit of these types of interactions is that everyone that
attended last summit was involved with an OWASP project (which may be a
good requirement).  I met Andras (my German brother) of WS-Attacks.org and
although I haven't done a good job of it yet, I was hoping to reboot the
OWASP Web Development Guide (I will send another email on that thread to
explain my struggles) and see if I could use the content from
WS-Attacks.orgin the new guide (seeing as I did the translation
revision for Andras) for
the Web Services chapter.  If I didn't attend the Summit I wouldn't have
met him and made this connection.

Yes there were a couple of things that could have been handled better
related to the usurping of funds from individual Chapter's accounts and we
probably could have spent less money on the incidentals but there is great
value in the Summit.

OWASP Rocks!

Warmest Regards,
Abe