[Owasp-standards] Re: New OWASP project - PCI Web Security Standards

owasp-standards-admin at lists.sourceforge.net owasp-standards-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 29 18:30:49 EST 2005

Distilling this down, it looks like just 2 documents need to be worked on -
2 and 4 as per the prior posting.

As part of this process, I recommend reading and assessing the "OWASP Top
Ten is really the OWASP Top 6.5" post at http://secureme.blogspot.com/ (get
past the humour for the meat of the post), then think about the outcomes we
want people/testers to achieve.

Input validation issues, in all its guises and impacts (SQL injection, XSS,
parameter abuse, query abuse, buffer overflows etc)
Error handling
Denial of service (network, http, app and custom code 'levels')
Authentication and Session management
Configuration management (not really a pen-test thing, imho)

I think we need to discuss way to test at the different app layers i.e.
Infrastrcture (network, switches, firewalls, storage etc) Http, App Server
layer, custom-code layer, then database layer
In LAMP/OSS terms, this might mean different techniques of testing and
result analysis aimed at the following:

Iptables, Snort etc
Apache HTTPD
Axis
Tomcat
Custom code
MySql

Of course, this list above is useless if the architecture is based on
different products, but I hope you can get the drift.

I'm happier as a reviewer/critique-er of any output from this exercise, but
will can contribute what wording and ideas along the way that I can.

Cheers
Lyal