[Owasp-standards] RE: New OWASP project - PCI Web Security Standards

owasp-standards-admin at lists.sourceforge.net owasp-standards-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 22 13:22:35 EST 2005

Concerning these comments:

"Craig Wright wrote:

>The company seeking the test is seeking compliance not necessary security.
>These are very different things.

Maybe I am missing something, but as a customer, how could I trust a
company that seeks "compliance not necessary security"? Does the compliance
make me feel better if something bad happens?

--
Roberto Tanara
Protechta Information Security"

Thanks folks - for these posts...  In the interests of getting my head
around the salient issues related to BOTH compliance AND security I am
approaching this from two viewpoints...

1. A management consultant assignment based on strong project management
requisites focused on the business issues; and then,

2. A technical consulting assignment based on a thorough Threat and Risk
Assessment which will integrate with point 1 and deliver a more holistic
outcome.  As we all know, "times they are a-changing" and what we can best
hope to achieve is high yield protection that accommodates the business
model.within the ability of the organization to adhere to the formal
protection rules.

I would appreciate any feedback that this group would be willing to share
so I can begin this adventure on a strong footing.  I am currently plowing
through all of the documentation to ensure that there are not any inherent
conflicts and that I can distinguish between "needs v/s wants"...

Thanks in advance, JohnG

John C. Glover, CISA, CISSP, CMC, I.S.P.
Direct Tel: 1.250.732.4364 (Cell)
INTERNET:  jcglover at telus.net
"Navigating purposefully through turbulence and change"
MayneStay Consulting Group Ltd.