[Owasp-standards] Re: New OWASP project - PCI Web Security Standards

owasp-standards-admin at lists.sourceforge.net owasp-standards-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
Tue Dec 20 16:47:02 EST 2005

I really appreciate your comments - it's this kind of discussion I'd really
like to see on this list.  I'm just going to clarify a bit more about the
project so everyone understands why there's some overlap with the PCI
standards currently, and then we'll get onto business.

The general idea of the project is to arrive at a set of *minimal*
requirements that can be tested to evaluate a secure web application.
Incorporating this into the PCI standard is a practical end goal of this
project (and replacing the OWASP Top Ten requirement, which to me is a bit
vague and untestable), but this project should be able to stand alone from
PCI (and thus the overlap).  The only reason that we've mentioned PCI in the
project introduction is because it gives people a frame of reference (a
similar project they already perhaps know of/about), and something to work
towards.

Other than these overlaps, the other factor is that this project is for
internet facing web applications (ie. external, customer facing) specific,
not generalizing on "the network" or application that my run over it (so for
example, i don't think we need to consider VPN's unless customers have
connect in that way first, which in my eyes pretty much makes it an internal
application), but I'd welcome comments/discussion on the list.

Anyway, any comments on the validity of the requirements and how to improve
them are extremely welcome.  All sections are fair game, and feel free to
add/change/delete/suggest any others that you think may be needed.

Cheers,
Mike.