[OWASP-South Africa] Membership survey results and more

Brett Russell brett.russell at owasp.org
Thu Jun 12 07:08:10 UTC 2014

Hi All,

Thanks to those of you that replied on the Heartbleed bug (but please send
your replies to the list for the benefit of all and not directly to me in
future). Tim made an excellent point which I would like to share:

*"Hack reports of South Africa: At some point somebody hacked the SA
Police's website. I think it happened last year.  They stole the personal
information of thousands of people apparently. Hack attempts happen all the
time in South Africa.  You might just not always be aware of it.  South
Africa is made up mostly of small businesses as opposed to the USA for
example which is made up of mostly big corporations.  Small businesses are
big targets for hackers with financial gain in mind and they will be very
subtle when attacking. Very few companies in South Africa monitor their
logs of their servers."*

Two things that stand out for me from this:
1. Even if your website is not hacked, that does not mean you are not
effected. We live in a global and online community and it is only through
community based organizations like OWASP and others that we can truly
tackle security and privacy issues. It is no longer good enough to just
protect our own back yards as we have a vested interest in protecting our
neighbours yard as well.
2. South Africa (and Africa in general) is different in the way we live and
work, and so we need to tackle the issues that we see here differently as
well. Exactly how we can achieve this, I am not entirely sure yet, but that
is why we need to have the conversations.

On a related note, Secure Johannesburg will be held on the 23rd of
September, and I suggested to ISC2 that we (OWASP) join the event
as partners. I am speaking at the event anyway, and I think it would help
to get more exposure to the local OWASP chapter. I would like your opinions
please so let me know if there are any objections.

Kind regards,
Brett

OWASP South Africa