[Owasp-southafrica] OWASP South Africa

Paul van Woudenberg paul at thinksmart.co.za
Wed Mar 24 12:10:13 EDT 2010

Hi All,

We're a Cape Town-based web app dev/sec shop (we = Theo and I, aka ThinkSmart). We've been using OWASP resources for a year or so, particularly the top-10, ASVS and ESAPI. Theo recently volunteered to help out with the Development Guide. We're both members and huge fans. We've been meaning to get a chapter going and would be prepared to lead a Cape Town chapter.

It seems there is a (dormant?) South African chapter - http://www.owasp.org/index.php/South_Africa. Not sure if Lindsay van Eden is still involved.

I like Barry's suggestion of having a start-up meeting in JHB during the ITWeb Security Summit. Perhaps there we could see what makes sense, either start both a JHB and CPT chapter or a single SA chapter with meetings alternatively in JHB/CPT (with leaders in each location). We have a cool Cape Town venue (the events room in the Bandwidth Barn) that we could use.

To answer the "where are you based" question, I set up a quick poll :) - please vote at:
http://micropoll.com/t/KDz0hZBEPn (please only vote once!)

Regards
Paul
--