[Owasp-singapore] Over half of all apps have security holes - Dodgy development practices balamed

Deepak Subramanian subudeepak at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 06:22:28 EDT 2010

Hi,

Coming back to the original question of secure development. This is a very big
problem that has been there for sometime as all here know.

Almost all of OWASP is dedicated to help in scenarios like these. I would like
to share some things I have with you.

First and foremost let me talk about a project I truly believe in. This is
called as the OWASP Enterprise Security API. I am currently handling the project
development for the Objective-C platform. The aim of ESAPI is this:
ESAPI (The OWASP Enterprise Security API) is a free, open source, web
application security control library that makes it easier for programmers to
write lower-risk applications. The ESAPI libraries are designed to make it
easier for programmers to retrofit security into existing applications. The
ESAPI libraries also serve as a solid foundation for new development.
Allowing for language-specific differences, all OWASP ESAPI versions have the
same basic design:
	* There is a set of security control interfaces. They define for example types
of parameters that are passed to types of security controls.
	* There is a reference implementation for each security control. The logic is
not organization‐specific and the logic is not application‐specific. An example:
string‐based input validation.
	* There are optionally your own implementations for each security
control. There may be application logic contained in these classes which may be
developed by or for your organization. An example: enterprise authentication.

You can find the link here
.. http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Enterprise_Security_API

Currently ESAPI Java is the most updated version. The .Net and php versions are
also out there and usable immediately.

Objective-C is relatively new and still trying to catch up :)

Any help that can be provided in development towards this project is
appreciated. Feel free to contact me for any details necessary.

Best Regards,
Deepak Subramanian

________________________________
From: Wong Onn Chee <ocwong at usa.net>
To: ocwong at usa.net; claudio.scarabello at sg.verizonbusiness.com
Cc: security-77 at meetup.com; owasp-singapore at lists.owasp.org
development practices blamed

The only people to benefit from law suits are the lawyers.
Trust me they do not need another source of income.

I would agree that awareness and education is key. For consumers and businesses
its one of choice. That is when people if realise they are at 'risk' will take
their business else where.

What needs to be demonstrate that good security= trust = $.

Regards
Daniel

The information in this Internet email is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this Internet
email by anyone else is unauthorised.

contained in this Internet email are subject to the terms and conditions
expressed in any applicable governing ING's terms of business or
client engagement letter.

Visit us at www.ing.com