[Owasp-singapore] Over half of all apps have security holes - Dodgy development practices blamed

Daniel.Tong at Asia.ING.com Daniel.Tong at Asia.ING.com
Mon Sep 27 06:58:50 EDT 2010

The only people to benefit from law suits are the lawyers.
Trust me they do not need another source of income.

I would agree that awareness and education is key. For consumers and businesses its one of choice. That is when people if realise they are at 'risk' will take their business else where.

What needs to be demonstrate that good security= trust = $.

Regards
Daniel

----- Original Message -----
From: owasp-singapore-bounces at lists.owasp.org <owasp-singapore-bounces at lists.owasp.org>
To: Scarabello, Claudio <claudio.scarabello at sg.verizonbusiness.com>
Cc: security-77 at meetup.com <security-77 at meetup.com>; OWASP Singapore <owasp-singapore at lists.owasp.org>
Sent: Mon Sep 27 18:17:46 2010
Subject: Re: [Owasp-singapore] Over half of all apps have security holes - Dodgy development practices blamed

 Hi Claudio,

Good insight.

Should we update consumers that they have the right to sue a website
owner if the website is insecure and infects their visitors?
This way, the business folks will stop ignoring the value of appsec.
When their pockets are hurt, the business folks will move.

Perhaps we should run an awareness campaign to educate and inform
consumers about their rights.
I believe such a campaign benefits all infosec pros.
What do you think?

Regards
Onn Chee

On 09/27/2010 11:32 AM, Scarabello, Claudio wrote:
> The way I see it, poor development practices, training and/or education
> are merely symptomatic of a root cause related to business owners who do
> not establish incentives/metrics for developers to build secure apps in
> the first place. And that's because business owners do not set aside
> budget for security reviews/ secure development. Why would they? Risk
> responsibility is not well established in the dev phases: they can deal
> with it later. And, adding SDLC (for example) early on would only slow
> down/hinder the project plans.
>
> Regards, Claudio Scarabello

The information in this Internet email is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this Internet
email by anyone else is unauthorised.

contained in this Internet email are subject to the terms and conditions
expressed in any applicable governing ING's terms of business or
client engagement letter.

Visit us at www.ing.com