[Owasp-singapore] Hackers siphon cash from British bank accounts

Jeff Dickey jdickey at seven-sigma.com
Thu Aug 12 12:18:24 EDT 2010

Onn Chee,

Given the centralised monoculture that is IT in Singapore, combined with the
banks¹ (and Government¹s) general attitudes, I¹m amazed that it hasn¹t
happened already... if it truly hasn¹t.

There are flaws in any system. When an excessively large proportion of a
critically important industry (like, say, finance) is dependent upon a
single system with minor-at-best variation, the when-not-if meter goes to
11....especially in a top-down, reactive management environment.
Unfortunately, there¹s only so much of the problem that can be solved by
technical means within the status quo otherwise.

Jeff
--
Jeff Dickey         Seven Sigma Software and Services
Email:              jdickey at seven-sigma.com
Phone/SMS:          +65 8333 4403
Website:            http://www.seven-sigma.com/
More contact info:  http://card.ly/jdickey

From: Wong Onn Chee <ocwong at usa.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 20:47:22 +0800
To: OWASP Singapore <owasp-singapore at lists.owasp.org>, Singapore Security
Meetup Group <security-77 at meetup.com>
Subject: [Owasp-singapore] Hackers siphon cash from British bank accounts

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/technologynews/view/1074756/1/.html

 Food for thought: Are we vulnerable too to such attacks here in Singapore?

--

Best Regards
Onn Chee