[Owasp-singapore] Talk on DDOS attacks on this Thu 8 Oct

Wong Onn Chee ocwong at usa.net
Fri Oct 9 10:34:13 EDT 2009

Many thanks to all those who attended the talk on Thu.
We had so many interesting discussions that we over-stayed and were even
chased out by the CC staff. :-)

Just an update to the group on the new Layer 7 DDOS attacks.
We had just completed initial tests against one of the commercial DDOS
protection systems with our DDOS assessment tool and, unfortunately, the
DDOS assessment tool was able to even bring down the system.

Many thanks to those who had agreed to offer their protection
systems/web servers for tests against this new DDOS attack. I will
follow up with you to conduct the tests asap. For the rest, if you are
interested to participate in this free assessment, do drop me a note.

Once the tests are completed, I will put up the list of generally
accepted countermeasures, which were proposed by those who were present,
to Puppetnets, the Melbourne Film Festival DDOS attacks and the new
Layer 7 DDOS attack.

I hope this list of countermeasures can then be published in the press
to share with rest of Singapore on how to protect against DDOS attacks.