[Owasp-rochester-announce] Question: Is this extortion or security consulting?

Andrea Cogliati andrea.cogliati at owasp.org
Wed Oct 7 14:44:22 EDT 2009

David,

we don't know all the details of the case, so I can only speculate:
most security researchers agree that security flaws must be fully
disclosed. There's disagreement on the timing and the extent of
disclosure: the consensus is toward "responsible disclosure" -- you
alert the vendor and give them a reasonable amount of time for making
a patch; if they don't act, you can disclose the vulnerability in
public -- others promote "full disclosure" -- vulnerabilities must be
published immediately, no matter what. Of course, there are pros and
cons on both sides.

Most countries (including the US) prohibit unsolicited security tests
(sometimes including reverse engineering on products you buy, like in
the DMCA). How did this guy get this information? Was he paid to
perform a vulnerability assessment/pentest? Was he an insider? Did he
have an NDA with the company? Did he discovered the flaws by mistake?
Or was he trying to hack into the application?

The final questions on payments and rewards is a very broad one and,
to me, it has several ramifications involving the whole free software
movement. Thanks to the free software movement we have access to
better software, tools and documentations, that's for sure. The
reverse side of the coin is now the misconception that everything must
be provided "free of charge".

Finally, it looks like that consumers are protected by law from
defective products (like an unsafe car or a microwave oven that
explodes). Unfortunately, end users don't get the same protection from
poor security in web applications.

Andrea