[Owasp-portland] Antivirus in the Enterprise - Is it dead yet?

Tim tim.morgan at owasp.org
Wed Nov 18 20:18:21 UTC 2015

Hi Hiep and Scott,

Here are the slides I used for my portion.  I don't have Tony's
updated slides so I'll let him respond with those.

Hiep:

Thanks for your perspective last night.  I know my argments cut
against security dogma and while I feel strongly that we need to
reexamine our use of many security products, I do want to attenuate my
assertions a little bit by saying this:

If a security vendor adopts a strong "do no harm" ethic and policies,
implementing these by designing their own product to be very secure,
use the latest mitigation tools (compiler options, sandboxing) along
with regular security audits (code reviews, automated fuzzing, etc),
then I can see a place for these kind of products.  Currently, that's
*not* how most security products are developed (besides the examples I
gave, I've tested plenty of security products over the years and many
are awful).  I'm also skeptical that securely written security products
can survive in the market place, given the state of the industry, but
it is something we should strive for!

Best regards,
tim