[Owasp-portland] Portland OWASP Chapter Meeting

Timothy D. Morgan tmorgan-owasp at vsecurity.com
Tue Jun 2 17:31:39 EDT 2009

Hello AJ,

>      I wanted to send out a quick status email. I had intended on having the
> meeting during the month of May, but the location I had in mind fell
> through. I believe I've worked out a new place which should be more stable,
> and conveniently located in Downtown PDX. If that's not conveniently located
> for everyone please let me know.

Great, thanks for the update.  Downtown is good for me.

> Below are a few items I'd like to get a consensus from the group on:
>
> 1) Future topics, and ideas about whether you, or someone you know would
> come in and give some talks on those subjects. Here's a quick list of ideas
> I have thought might be useful.
>
> - SQL, could be broken down into generic discussion of stored procedures of
> specific DBMS', or SQL injection, etc.
> - SOA - OASIS Web Services Security
> - Cookie Tampering
> - Talks on the various types of tools for web application security
> - AJAX or various other web 2.0 trends or topics.
> - I'd personally like to discuss Ruby on Rails
> - SSO
> - Quick book reviews of application security titles. (How many read all the
> security books we should?)

I don't know what others think, but in order to get off the ground in
a new city, it would probably be good to start with the basics and
work up from there.  Many of the above fit that category.

Personally I wouldn't mind giving talks on a number of common
vulnerability areas including SQL injection and XSS, various
applications of encryption, IPv6, or miscellaneous tool talks.  I'd
just need a month or two of advance notice to put together any
presentations.

> 2) Best meeting times? evenings, days, Wednesday evenings at 11pm (kidding),
> etc. Let me know what works best for everyone and I'll set it up.

Weekdays after 2:00pm are best for me.

> We're a small group so far, and I expect that to change over some time. If
> anyone would like to volunteer with coordinating some of the meetings, or
> the various other tasks that go into owning a OWASP Chapter it would be much
> appreciated, so let me know.

I had tried contacting you a few weeks back when I noticed you had
kicked off the chapter, but my emails must have went into a spam
bucket.  In any case, I'd be glad to lend a hand as my schedule
permits with stuff like finding speakers and encouraging people to
show up to meetings.  Just let me know how I can help.

thanks!
tim