[Owasp-o2-platform] How to set a text value into an html element?

Dinis Cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Mon May 21 14:05:31 UTC 2012

Hi Fabricio

There are a couple things that could be happening:

   - The page load event might be triggered before the field exists (for
   example if that field is created via Javascript)
   - The field is not really a field (in HTML), it could be something
   created via CSS
   - The 'email' field type could not be recognized by WatiN (I had to say
   that it is the first time I've seen that input type)

Here are a couple ideas for you to try:

*1) introduce a delay after the page opens* - this should help to clarify
if the is is created by dynamic creation of fields:

*ie.sleep(1000);*
*return ie.fields();*
*
*
you can also wait for a particular field/button/link to exists

*ie.waitForField('field name');*
*
*
or wait for a particular variable to exists

ie.waitForJsVariable(*'variable name');*

*2) inject firebug-lite into the browser and use it to find the element*

*ie.open("http://google.com");*
*ie.inject_FirebugLite();*

and use firebug to find out what is going on (and maybe write the
javascript required to make the manipulation you want)
*
*
*3) inject firebug-lite and jquery*

*ie.open("http://google.com");*
*ie.inject_FirebugLite();*
*ie.inject_jQuery();*

If you are a jQuery user/fan, this is the only way you can now manipulate
Javascript  :)

*4) manipulate the javascript from O2 script*
*
*
*ie.eval("alert('hello from O2')");*
*
*
Here are a couple other variations (note how in the example below there is
a two way communication channel between O2 the Browser

*ie.invokeEval("alert('hello again')");*
*ie.invokeEval("aMethod = function(name) { return 'hello ' + name; } ");*
*ie.invokeEval("alert(aMethod)");*
*return ie.invokeScript("aMethod","'John Smith'");*

Finally, Fabricio, feel free to catch me on skype (DinisCruz) or GTalk, and
I'l help you to figure out a way around it

Dinis Cruz

Blog: http://diniscruz.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/DinisCruz
Web: http://www.owasp.org/index.php/O2