[Owasp-o2-platform] Scanning vanilla java with O2

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Fri Aug 13 08:20:30 EDT 2010

Hi Yiannis

The short answer is NO, you can't use O2 to perform a static analysis
of that code because the current version of O2 doesn't have a Scanning
Engine (it only has one for .Net)

The long answer is YES, you can use O2 to help you reviewing that App
(from both BlackBox and WhiteBox points of view)

Focusing on the whitebox part. There are a number of O2 modules that
will be able to help you a lot.

Question: do you have access to a static analysis scan result
(Fortify, IBM, Veracode, Armorize) of that application? (don't think
is an equivalent Open Source one). If you have these results, no
matter how big, you will be able to consume them in O2.

In terms of what O2 can help you with, here are some of existing
capabilities:
  - there is an web.XML parser and visualizer (and one of struts and
Spring)
  - you can consume results from other tools like: Orizon, FindBugs,
WebScarab, Burp, etc...
  - you can convert the .class files into an CIR object which you can
then visualize and manipulate via scripts
  - you can create CALL-FLOW traces from the CIR (and see 'makes call
to' and 'is called by' trees (with source code mappings))
  - you can create O2Findings from those call-flow traces
  - you can apply source to sink rules to those findings

Let me know which path you want to take and I'll write some
documentation & Scripts for it :)

Dinis Cruz