[Owasp-o2-platform] trouble running O2 demos : I really want this to work

Robert Sullivan msp.sullivan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 00:46:24 EDT 2010

Here's another newbie hurdle when working with HackMeBank.
I'm attempting to run O2 on a clean machine. The main point here is that
Visual Studio 2008 nor IIS is installed there. (I don't expect that java
developers or many testers will have that installed)

I went to "Demos/HackMeBank - Start Web Server" and it failed, looking for a
file: WebDev.WebServer.EXE
I found the file on a different machine with a VisualStudio 2008 install.
It's squirreled away under this directory: C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Microsoft Shared\DevServer\9.0

I copied the file to where it was expected here: C:\Program Files\OWASP O2
Platform
Now I have the beginnings of HackMeBank running.

Can someone explain how essential the WebDev.WebServer.EXE program is, and
what my O2 limitations will be if I cannot install a copy?

Thanks, Bob S.