[Owasp-o2-platform] O2 - Moving Forward

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Fri Nov 27 05:27:34 EST 2009

(CCing the owasp-o2-platform list :)  (others see Daniel's spot-on comments
below))

Hey Daniel, don't worry about talking openly about O2, my current objective
is to make O2 usable and consumable by the rest of the community, and we
will only get there if O2 users are as demanding on O2 as you are :)

I really like the idea of having a main O2 module which is the first module
new users are exposed to (then as they get more experienced they can be
exposed to the other modules).

Although I agree with you that we need a LOT more documentation in O2, the
problem is that there is SO much functionality and features in O2, that the
problem is where to start.

My development model for O2 has always been* 'only develop or solve issues
that have a real short-term usage scenario'* (i.e. only work on an active
problem who has an 'immediate active user' ).

This means that based on the feedback on this list there are 4 areas where I
can see some traction from your side:

   - New simple GUI for new users (as Daniel and Rohit have talked about).
   See http://code.google.com/p/o2platform/issues/detail?id=8
   - O2's current Framework Support: Namely Spring MVC and Struts
   - Using Microsoft CAT.NET within O2
   - O2's .NET and JAVA CirData capabilities: Create CirData from .NET
   Assemblies & Java classes. Creating Traces from CirData, Applying Source ->
   Sink rules, viewing source code from CIR, etc...

Regarding the issues Daniel raised (Documentation, Installation, Use and
Support), I think that the best way forward is to get a couple solid
use-cases working, and then for each of those use cases handle
its: Documentation, Installation (which could be common to all), Use and
Support

What do you think?

Dinis Cruz