[Owasp-o2-platform] Feedback

Dinis Cruz dinis at ddplus.net
Tue Nov 24 13:07:20 EST 2009

This is great news Brad, please dump as much info here regarding what are
your requirements, objectives and deliverables (you can also use the O2
Power-User Blogs which you have an account :) ).

The best way to 'consume' O2 is to have a very explicit set of problems that
we can use O2 to solve. So Brad, are you able to list 5 items that you would
like to do with O2?

Regarding training, there are already a couple commercial options that are
available to you: Bruce or Ian from IBM/Ounce , Cigital (talk to John Steven
since he knows the best ones),  Matt Parsons, and (if you fly them from
Brazil) Wagner from Conviso. There are a couple others power-users out
there, but I'm not sure I can mention their names :)

On the topic of O2 Users and Companies providing commercial services on top
of O2, I've started a page here (
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_O2_Platform/WIKI/Active_O2_Users) and
please feel free to add your name (It's a WIKI, just get an account and
start editing)

Dinis

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Brad Causey <bradcausey at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> case people want to scale down the features. Provide an interface to
>>> install "extensions" such as Spring MVC or support for CSharpScripts,
>>> etc.
>>> Here’s what I’d recommend for the top level menus of the Core O2
>>> application:
>>>
>>> File
>>>   -New /** starts a new project, perhaps with a wizard to help guide
>>> the user */
>>>   -Open
>>>   -Save
>>>   --------
>>>   -Import /** import findings from various scanners */
>>>   ---------
>>>   -Exit
>>> /** Get rid of restart modules - this might be a useful debugging
>>> concept but doesn't make sense to end users. Somebody should open and
>>> close the app if they need to do this */
>>>

>>> Edit
>>>  -Cut
>>>  -Copy
>>>  -Paste
>>>  -------
>>>  -Configuration /** opens a dialog window with top level choices on
>>> the left and details on the right, similar to Eclipse Preferences */
>>>      -File System /** Top level choice */
>>>         -File Location
>>>         -Install Directory
>>>         -Temp Directory
>>>         -Executable Directory
>>>      -Module Specific /** One top level choice for each module that
>>> requires configuraiton */
>>>      -Advanced /** Top level choice */
>>>         -(other configuration items from the KO2Config)
>>> /** Provide a radio button on the top to allow users to toggle between
>>> Main configuration and user-specific configuration */
>>> /** Provide standard Save and Cancel buttons on the bottom of the
>>> dialogue window */
>>>

>>> Modules /** Each should bring up a different dialog box */
>>>   -Rules Manager /** don't distinguish between XRules and other kinds
>>> of rules - this is confusing */
>>>   -Log Viewer
>>>   -Trace Joiner
>>>   -Code Reflector
>>>   -Script Editor /** should support  C-Sharp, Python and Java */
>>>   -Findings Manager /** includes Filter and Viewer */
>>>   -Intermediate Representation Viewer  /** or IR Viewer for short,
>>> rather than CIR since this is now platform agnostic */
>>>   -Technology-Specific Modules
>>>       -Spring MVC
>>>       -.Net /**Should include the .Net debugger (the web server
>>> should be part of this functionality rather than a separate module),
>>> .Net Callbacks Maker */
>>>
>>> Windows /** no idea what functionality is supposed to be here */
>>>
>>> Help
>>>  -Online Knowledgebase (or Wiki) /** Link to owasp site */
>>>  -Request Help from O2 Developers
>>>  -About /** include version, developers names and the email address
>>> to provide feedback, don’t need the Send Comment feature */
>>>
>>> •       Do you really need the modules that allow people to run the
>>> from within O2? I argue this causes too much confusion for it’s actual