[Owasp-Mumbai] Do we need sensational/attention grabbing subject lines?

Vinil Menon vinilm at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 10 10:44:55 EST 2010

It maybe just me, but I am a bit concerned with our cavalier attitude to writing emails - especially ones that are meant to disseminate/share information among our peers. I am referring to the sensationalism in the subject line i.e  "AIIMS Delhi site hacked".

a. We know it is not 'the AIIMS' and

b. We are not sure whether the site is really hacked or not. All we know is that the homepage looks a bit out of the ordinary. For all we know, it could be their admin who's put up a different home page.

There is already too much misinformation around as easily evidenced by the Indiatimes article on tcs.com's DNS mishap and the comments on the article. Do "we" also need to add to the collective ignorance and foster FUD?

With warm regards,
Vinil