[Owasp-Mumbai] Can we help govt fight cyber crimes

Vinil Menon vinilm at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 10:10:25 EDT 2008

All good points. Couldn't resist chiming in with my 2 cents.

1. Awareness is top priority.
a. Seconding Yash here, First target should be the device vendors/manufactures. SD3 (Secure by design, default, deployment) should be the norm for all mass-market products. No vendors/ISPs should be providing devices that are not secure Out of the box. There would be considerable resistance to this idea from the vendors as the first impression for the customer would be poor. At a minimum, the default password should be a function of the device serial number/date of manufacturing. Even if support gets a call, they would be able to ask and generate the default password.

b. Internet is a good medium to begin the awareness program. However, we might be able to get better mileage by simply approaching shows like Tech2/Gadgets and fm radio stations like Mirchi, Big, Red etc. I am sure a 5 second skit/ad that gives out tips and a url can be effective. I am sure the Police or Cyber Crime cell might be already chalking out something like this.

c. Areas like Lamington Road where devices are bought in thousands should be specifically targeted. An additional instruction flyer (courtesy/order of Mumbai Police)  could be included along with each device sold which would have some info. on securing, why one needs to secure, and a further url to more information would've better penetration than simply littering the streets with flyers.

d. About catching them young, I am not sure this approach is going to yield much benefit. We could set up an orkut group and then send out an email blast to all the young ones we know asking them to join the group. And, then turn the orkut group into a forum from where we can run or organize special informational sessions. Every college could be made to have "security" champs ( who could be given additional information and assistance in conducting informationals)

2. Another avenue that we should explore is looking at what other corporates with community presence in India are doing. Say, Microsoft has user groups in every city. And, this is a topic that is being debated in those user groups too. I am sure even Java, Windows and other groups would be having similar discussions. Reaching out to other groups via one's companies internal mails is another option.
Say, taking Dharmesh as an example. Mastek has a considerable .NET and Java practice area. Dharmesh could start a thread itnernally to connect with his .NET user group/forum champion (Almost every company has a guy who's the go-to guy for forums/user groups.) This way one can get in touch with the user group heads/organizers and have a combined event with much more penetration.

3. Every stray dog should be fit with a collar that is part of a mesh (802.11s) n/w and does wardriving and attempts basic attacks and the encrypted results  can be collected by Mumbai Police. Then, the police can tie up with a BPO company to call and instruct/pester the wifi owner to secure his wifi...or else they will pester him with credit card/insurance calls.

-Vinil