[Owasp-Mumbai] FW: Can we help govt fight cyber crimes

ashish kirtikar kirtikar_ashish at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 23 08:13:30 EDT 2008

Hi Dharmesh,

I truly believe that it is us Security Professionals who should take an initiative in creating the awareness amongst people. Along with the Cyber Crime Cells of the regional police forces we can organize workshops to make people aware of their common mistakes which hackers use to take over their machines or networks.

In terms of WiFi it is truly necessary to make people aware of the mandatory lockdowns or precautions they should follow to be well-protected and secure. I have myself sometimes used connections of my neighbour in my earlier dayz in college(though I m not really proud of it...but it was fun then), till now we can do it.
Also, small organizations or firms having networks with open access to internet (untrusted world) should be made aware of IT-security and its importance. Also, we could collect generalized info in terms of options in varied price ranges which these companies can buy and implement ( as all cannot afford the firewalls, IDS, IPS and all the other devices seperately due to budget issues). I believe UTM's are the answer but my understanding on this device is still not complete so I would not comment much on it.

Also, as we are discussing on workshops I also want to suggest that we should hold workshops creating awareness on "Phishing". I believe with the increase of Internet and boom of Social Networking it is now the most important thing.

Thanks & Regards,

Ashish Kirtikar
Security Engineer - Wipro Infotech

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:50:01 +0530
From: dharmeshmm at owasp.org
To: owasp-mumbai at lists.owasp.org
Subject: [Owasp-Mumbai] Can we help govt fight cyber crimes

Hi,
I was just re-looking at the blasts that have happened around the country and connect with the broken wireless networks been attacked.

The immediate thing that probably comes to all of security gurus is "Wireless security should have been done obviously".....

Essentially, I believe that for security experts in the industry, there are more malicious attacks possible which we all concentrate based on attackers trends.

Just a thought. Can OWASP Mumbai community members help NASSCOM and Cyber Crime Cell fight against growing cyber attacks?
I think if we all can collaborate and share our knowledge with these guys, we can work at best helping the government in addition to working for the security industry.
Also, I was wondering, if anyone has contacts with Engineering and Management Colleges / Universities, one of us in the community should go and have an awareness session with these colleges.
Discussions, thoughts and actions are welcome..
Thanks & Regards,Dharmesh Mehta
OWASP Mumbai Chapter Leadhttp://smartsecurity.blogspot.com

Get the latest buzz on outsourcing. Up to date information on mergers, acquisitions and deals on BPO Watch. Try it now!