[Owasp-Mumbai] Penetration testing - effort estimation

r4y secureas at gmail.com
Fri May 2 02:27:27 EDT 2008

Hey guys... it is hard to productise application testing, but based on
previous jobs you can really get a good "gut feel"

Recently at my company we decided to productise our app testing services and
we began by assessing all our previous jobs, (The type of application,
information stored, application architecture, privilege levels, levels of
perceived risk and the number of days we had quoted on each job) This led to
the revelation that primarily there were only 5 main types of applications
we were being asked to test (barring the special cases such as mobile based
apps etc)
They were:

1. Static site (HTML pages, no active content)
2. Database driven dynamic site with read only access to users (e.g user can
login and get  a quote for an insurance but cannot write any data to d/b)
3. Dynamic site, database read / write access by users, and site admin
access
4. Dynamic site, inter user transactions, atleast 2 levels of access,
possibly more
5. Type 4 above but with higher risk. e.g internet banking.

We observed that our previous quotes were based on the above factors as
opposed to number of pages and that given the above information it was easy
for us to estimate effort based on previous experience on similar
applications.

So now its possible for our non-technical staff such as business analysts
etc to estimate effort fairly accurately. Of course we also do mention to
clients that should we come across any additional functionality which may
require testing in our opinion then we may come back to you if we feel we
need more time.

Just my $0.02 anyway.

Cheers