[Owasp-Mumbai] Penetration testing - effort estimation

Sumit Siddharth sumit.siddharth at gmail.com
Thu May 1 14:49:15 EDT 2008

Hi List,
very interesting subject. I do take into account the following things:-

Purpose of the application
No. of dynamic pages
No. of users
No. of different user roles/priveleges
And lots of more things..

However, its easier to scope if the application is live while scoping it and
based on the experience its easier to judge  the number of man days.
Although, the application with 100 dynamic pages, may appear to be huge and
the first impression could be to scope it for say 15 man days, but it may
turn out that the test could be adequately completed in say 8-9 man days or
may be less.

Another important thing to consider is how many people are put on the test.
Say for example, while 15 Man days of test split betwen a team of 4 man will
finish the test in 4 days, it may sometimes actually be better to have a
team of 2-3 people and run it for say 5-6 days. As more is a tester familiar
with the application, better it will be.

Still, there is no rule of thumb, and number of man days may differ from
company to company.

Sid

--
Sumit Siddharth