[ OWASP - Montréal ]OWASP Testing Guide v2 - How to learn from that huge brick?

Laurent Desaulniers laurent.desaulniers at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 21:32:47 EST 2008

I know it is silly, but my best "framework" for security is a checklist:
www.*secguru*.com/files/*cheatsheet*/webapp*cheatsheet*2.pdf

This is a high level view of what i need; certainly not as restraining as
the usual framework but also does not help as much as other frameworks. For
example, using this framework, it does not tell HOW to check for session id
analysis or XSS. It just makes sure everything is covered.

OSSTM is more focused toward "standard pen-test" i.e Networks and
applications, BO and SO.

The OWASP testing guide is still THE reference, at least for all the SOAP
and AJAX sections.

I hope it helps.

I can give you my "procedure" at the next talk. But here is a little
excerpt:

1) Focus on logic flaws. Many app scanners can now find blind sql
injections, Xss and even csrf. But it is not possible for an application to
know that a negative amount is not valid for an amount transfer. This is not
only the easiest thing to test, but also what will ensure you to most
visibilty to your clients. (imho)

2) I abuse of paper cards. Usually, what i do is write a little card for
every page, including every input and ouput and hidden fields. If there is a
web service, i also write every parameters. It not only allows you to get a
good idea of the inner working of a web app

3) Check encryption, especially on parameters you can control. Even if the
page redirects to https, all you need is a SINGLE valid image on http and
the application is insecure to cookie stealing. Same about cookies. Make
sure all cookies are marked as safe.

4) Usually, when i do a white box web assesment, i require 2 accounts. An
admin account and a "user" account. This allows to know more about the
application and inner function.

5) Fuzzing. I am not a fan of fuzzing but i have seen very good results. It
is not for me, but you might want to check it out.

Laurent

--
*CONFIDENTIALITÉ* L'information apparaissant dans ce message électronique
est de nature légalement privilégiée et confidentielle. Si ce message vous

*CONFIDENTIALITY* The information in this message is legally privileged and
confidential. In the event of a transmission error and if you are not the
individual or entity mentioned above, you are hereby advised that any use,
copying or reproduction of this document is strictly forbidden. Please
advise us of this error and destroy this message.