[Owasp-Malaysia] Need Advice on 2 Different Network in One Switch

Hasanuddin Abu Bakar bizkutrai at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 23:49:35 EDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Muzamir Mokhtar <muzamir at pahang.gov.my> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need some advice from those who is familiar with LAN dan Switches. I
> have a situation here. In my office LAN, i have 2 different WAN which
> is Streamyx and GOVNet. So i have put the UTP cable from Streamyx
> Modem and GOVNet into one switch in my office. My PC is connected to
> that switch.
>
> Streamyx IP scheme :
> 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0
> Gateway : 192.168.1.254
>
> GOVNet IP scheme :
> 10.10.10.x 255.255.255.0
> Gateway : 10.10.10.254
>
> My PC only have one network card.
> So i have used switchPro software in my PC in order to do switching
> from network profile Streamyx to GOVNet or vice versa in some situation.
>
> My Question is :
> 1) Does this implementation good to my multi WAN environment?
> 2) Does this implementation give any effect to my LAN Connection in
> term of security?
> 3) Does this implementation give effect to my switches?
>
> Please advice me on this. TQ in advance
>
> --
> Muzamir bin Mokhtar,
> http://muzzoshah.blogspot.com
> http://muzzotechspot.blogspot.com

1) Does this implementation good to my multi WAN environment?
Not good

2) Does this implementation give any effect to my LAN Connection in
term of security?
It means a lot. Actually it's same as when you connect with 1 WAN.

3) Does this implementation give effect to my switches?
Could be. The switch will busy looking for the right route to go.

I suggest you use load balancing or static route for the clients. a
cheap pc with pfsense is good enough. PKNS is using it with 4 WANs!

WAN1---
            \____pfsense----switch----users
            /
WAN2---

> DISCLAIMER:
> This e-mail and the attachment is from State Government of Pahang,
> Malaysia. It is intended solely for the person to whom they are
> addressed and may be confidential and privileged. If you are not the
> intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, distributing,
> copying or taking any action in reliance of the content of this
> information is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender
> immediately if you have received this e-mail and delete it from your
> system. The recipient should check the e-mail and any attachment for
> the presence of viruses that could be transmitted via e-mail. Email
> transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free as
> information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
> incomplete or contain viruses. State Government of Pahang, Malaysia
> accepts no liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of
> this message which arises as a result of e-mail transmission.
> Opinions, conclusions and other information in this e-mail that does
> not relate to the official business of State Government of Pahang,
> Malaysia shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by State
> Government of Pahang, Malaysia.
>

> --
> believed to be clean.

> OWASP Malaysia Wiki