[OWASP-Malaysia] DDoS Defence Guide Released France CERT

Farhan Faisal farhanfaisal at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 10:53:23 EDT 2011

Dos on dns level might happen, u can opt for 3rd party dns provider,yg ada
anycast routing,which might have geographically dispersed dns server. Lower
the risk of the dns server being taken down.

Issue of using 3rd party dns server is fine for me. U're outsourcing one
part of ur critical service enablement with them,yg mana mereka specialized
in that field. Some of them are ipv6 ready. Besides, u still have control
over the domain,to take that service out of the circle anytime u want,but
still kn consider dns propogation la

If someone would do a targeted attack to a site,the real ip is still
exposed, they can just directed the attack to the real ip. Cdn/cloudflare
might help to distribute the big bandwidth of the attack. If the attack goes
directly to the real ip,u still have to handle the bandwidth. Still,i do
think cdn is great for ur service delivery,and cloudflare have the
capability to filter common attack by default.

I think one approach is to monitor the ddos packet,and filter them
reactively, based on the characteristic and pattern. Packet
size,flag,pattern. so,do we have the device/software/tool that allow us to
do that? do we have any alerting mechanism that allow us to respond
accordingly,rather than plugout the cable?
Sure ada software/framework for this,anyone have any idea?