[OWASP-Malaysia] DDoS Defence Guide Released France CERT

Harisfazillah Jamel linuxmalaysia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 00:07:23 EDT 2011

Team,

Immediate action that we can do is to lower the TTL of the DNS.

Under Preparation step

Confirm DNS time-to-live (TTL) settings for the systems that  might be
attacked. Lower the TTLs, if necessary, to facilitate DNS  redirection
if the original IP addresses get attacked. 600 is a good  TTL value.

Why?

Cache for DNS (ISP level, users DNS cache level) can be expired much
more faster so any redirection that we do by using Domain name can be
done immediately.