[Owasp-Malaysia] Top posting vs Bottom posting - which one is OK for you

Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan sharuzzaman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 01:58:10 EST 2011

This point is much more important, as quoted from the FreeBSD-chat mailing
list.

-----

1. While top-posting is bad in the mailing list context, it is often
necessary in the corporate context. It took me a while to
appreciate this, but it's much easier for a secretary or a customer
support person to look through the bottom of an email for *all*
related correspondence than to dig through (possibly weeks-old or
months-old) email. You may have quoted what *you* think is
"relevant", but maybe you unknowingly omitted something important,
or maybe you didn't but the reader wants to be sure of that too.
If you quoted everything, you may as well top-post, rather than
force your reader to wade through pages of old stuff before getting
to your point.

Most people are used to email in the corporate context and thus
used to top-posting.

-----

If you have worked in corporate environment (even if you are an Open Source
company), you will appreciate that the trail from the reply of top-posted
email, will help you to track the communication that has happen previously,
very easily.

I have never seen any Open Source mailing list to scold their user for top
posting. If they do, they will lose their user very fast. Too picky, and too
controlling.