[Owasp-Malaysia] Facebook's use

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Mon May 17 09:39:26 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 01:57:20PM +0800, James Tan wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> what's your take on the use of Facebook or any social web?

My take is that the information in singular is much less of a problem
than that in aggregation, so I've deleted my Facebook profile.
There's just no way a company like that can do all three of:

1. Be a publicly held company.
2. Provide a free service to the public.
3. Protect users' privacy.

I'm pretty sure 1 and 3 are mutually exclusive, even without 2.

> My view is that even if we ourselves do not post any photos/texts
> etc, our friends, people we know or not (strangers) will do it and
> 'include' our information with theirs, knowingly or not.  Such
> information can be abused to crimes, blackmails...etc, basically
> social engineering.

My view is that such information is already public even if you never
join a social network, so any worries about its being public need to
take this as a given rather than waste efforts attempting to prevent
its disclosure.

Cheers,
David.
--