[Owasp-Malaysia] Facebook's use

BRIAN RITCHIE esqbrianritchie at gmail.com
Mon May 17 04:07:15 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 1:57 PM, James Tan <jameztcc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> what's your take on the use of Facebook or any social web? My view is that
> even if we ourselves do not post any photos/texts etc, our friends, people
> we know or not (strangers) will do it and 'include' our information with
> theirs, knowingly or not. Such information can be abused to crimes,
> blackmails...etc, basically social engineering.

This is the pangs of social media per say. The whole idea of Web 2.0 +
Social Networks is for you as a user to let out more information about
yourself for info amassing which will lead to Web 3.0 technologies
which will then focus on data analysis instead of feeding us raw data
back (like we see now). Honestly, cowering under a shell as you
mentioned will not be useful because of the Six Degrees of Separation
which will infact will enable people to build an almost complete
profile of you without you even doing so. So as much as we despise
Facebook, I unfortunately and reluctantly tend to agree with
Zuckerberg in that privacy is a thing of the past. Perhaps the real
thing we need to worry about is to ensure someone doesn't impersonate
us ( which means creating a profile and leaving it dormant if you have
to) and ensure that you practice careful and selective postings to
reduce too much of data leakage.