[Owasp-Malaysia] Social network sites: Block or not?

Azharuddin Ahmad Jais azhar at arsa.com.my
Thu Jul 15 06:54:25 EDT 2010

Meh. Somehow I can never quite get about what is so exciting about FB or
Twitter
or any other social or any social networking sites for that matter.
Is this the ‘in-thing’ people talk about? *shrug*

I’d say block them all. Corporate network = work or work-related purposes
only. If FB or twitter is needed for marketing (which I doubt about them
being used as such), then let the marketing department handle the job.
That’s what they’re paid to do. IMHO, social networking can be done on
private time, using private property and connection.

That’s my 2¢ on the matter.

Best Regards,

Azharuddin Ahmad Jais
Senior Associate
ARSA

  _____

    Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 14:20:56 +0800
    From: BRIAN RITCHIE <esqbrianritchie at gmail.com>
      To: David Fetter <david at fetter.org>
      Cc: owasp-malaysia at lists.owasp.org

> I am gonna echo David on this. Trust me, if you have me as an employee and
> you block Twitter/FB, I'll find a way through and probably puncture more
> holes in your infra. I'd rather you allocate certain hours/time limits per
> day for stuff like this like Creative Malaysia ( Sound system) does. Very
> interesting approach.
>
> -BRIAN RITCHIE
>
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 2:17 PM, David Fetter <david at fetter.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:21:41PM -0500, Mohd Fazli Azran wrote:
>> > Hi guy!!,
>> >
>> > Long time not write something for your. Just wanna to share about
>> > this article. It about *"Should companies block Facebook, Twitter
>> > and LinkedIn?" . *Should your open or block for Social network. It
>> > up to you guy. On this article give some opinion.

www.networkworld.com/community/tech-debate-block-social-networks?source=NWWN
LE_nlt_daily_pm_2010-07-13

>> Whatever benefit you imagine you might derive from treating your
>> employees like children, you will lose all of it and more because they
>> resent your heavy-handed tactics.  You'll have created attackers
>> inside your trust boundary, and nothing's quite as nasty as that, from
>> every security perspective.
>>
>> If you want to make a policy about which sites people visit, making
>> that policy written, clear, in advance, and with reasons enunciated
>> and questionable is *much* more effective than encouraging your
>> employees to punch you (and your firewalls, etc.) when you establish
>> silly and arbitrary network outages.  Trying to block ports and IPs is
>> stupid, wasteful, counter-productive, and, of course, ineffective.
>>
>> That said, I find multiple threats and attack vectors from Facebook
>> itself, which acts pretty much an attacker when it comes to anything a
>> Facebook user ever connects to.  In the process of violating their
>> users' privacy, something they have an extensive track record of doing
>> as a matter of routine, they violate most access control policies.
>>
>> Stated that way, it's much easier to convince people that Facebook is
>> a problem.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Mohd Fazli Azran
>> > OWASP Malaysia Chapter Leader
>> > [image: OWASP Malaysia] <http://www.owasp.org/Malaysia>

>> > OWASP Malaysia Wiki
>> > http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Malaysia
>> >
>> > OWASP Malaysia Wiki Facebook
>> > http://www.facebook.com/pages/OWASP-Malaysia-Local-Chapter/295989208420
>>

>> --
>> David Fetter <david at fetter.org> http://fetter.org/
>> Phone: +1 415 235 3778  AIM: dfetter666  Yahoo!: dfetter
>> Skype: davidfetter      XMPP: david.fetter at gmail.com
>> iCal: webcal://www.tripit.com/feed/ical/people/david74/tripit.ics
>>
>> Remember to vote!
>> Consider donating to Postgres: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
>>
>> OWASP Malaysia Wiki
>> http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Malaysia
>>
>> OWASP Malaysia Wiki Facebook
>> http://www.facebook.com/pages/OWASP-Malaysia-Local-Chapter/295989208420
>>

> --
> MySpamGuard State Government of Pahang, Malaysia and is believed to
> be clean.

----- End message from esqbrianritchie at gmail.com -----

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail and the attachment is from State Government of Pahang,
Malaysia. It is intended solely for the person to whom they are
addressed and may be confidential and privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, distributing,
copying or taking any action in reliance of the content of this
information is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender
immediately if you have received this e-mail and delete it from your
system. The recipient should check the e-mail and any attachment for
the presence of viruses that could be transmitted via e-mail. Email
transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
incomplete or contain viruses. State Government of Pahang, Malaysia
accepts no liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of
this message which arises as a result of e-mail transmission.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this e-mail that does
not relate to the official business of State Government of Pahang,
Malaysia shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by State