[Owasp-Malaysia] Social network sites: Block or not?

BRIAN RITCHIE esqbrianritchie at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 04:43:37 EDT 2010

First, this is actually not related to OWASP at all but I'll respond for now
until someone complains since the list has been rather quite.

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Muzamir Mokhtar <muzamir at pahang.gov.my>wrote:

> I just wanna give the contra on this matter :
>
> if we allow Social Network at all time
> - network traffic will be high and might be disturb other services that use
> it

Load balance certain sites. Reduce the bandwidth allocation. Easily solved.
Not an issue.

> if we block social network at all time
> - staff will bring their own netbook and use 3g broadband to surf the
> social network

This is even worst b/c then they'll be glued to their own stations and ur
gonna get even less work/productivity from them.

> if we block social network at certain time
> - staff might use the certain (after office hour) to surf the social
> network and claim for OT...

Not necessarily. This can train discipline. Maybe a couple of hours during
lunch of after official work hours. If the staff produces results, why not
allow them some time to let the mind roam. Even for me, when working on
stuff I really love, I sometimes either get bored or stuck at a problem.
Surfing random sites relaxes the mind a little and build my motivation to
resume work.

If ur staff is abusing OT, then there should be a better governing policy on
when to allow or permit OT and when not to. Work should be based completely
on results and not whether they are sitting at the cubicle glued to their
screens. :-)

-BRIAN RITCHIE