[Owasp-Malaysia] Social network sites: Block or not?

Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan sharuzzaman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 23:39:52 EDT 2010

Yes. Companies should block Facebook and Twitter.

Facebook is wasting time and bandwidth, because most of its component cannot
be cached, as most of it is dynamically generated.

Twitter is also wasting bandwidth, if the client is keep refreshing the
tweet, because it cannot be cached.

LinkedIn is OK, because the data there is mostly static.

I have experience maintaining a Squid cache server, and found that more than
80% of the traffic is not cacheable due to 20% of the application (Facebook
and Twitter). See Pareto principle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

--
Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan