[Owasp-leaders] don't allow explicit discrimination 🙏🏿 (women only)

Paweł Krawczyk pawel.krawczyk at hush.com
Sun Mar 17 21:43:50 UTC 2019

On 17/03/2019 05:35, Prashant Kv wrote:
> https://www.dayofshecurity.com/
>
> https://girlswhocode.com/
>
> Above initiatives are started in USA . Don’t tell me problem is there
> only in countries like India. I am part of San Francisco Bay Area
> Owasp chapter and I hardly see women boldly asking questions. Problem
> is worldwide.
> For all the talk, Usa never ever had a women president and Israel had
> one lady prime minister. India and all its neighboring countries has
> had lady head of states in past.

Many problems are present out there and one of them is non-uniform
distribution of problems and their perception across the world. One of
the problems most predominant in the US seems to be -- apart form
widespread gender inequality apparently -- deficit of sensitivity to
other cultures and values of various parts of the world.

I don't think "women only" events are discriminating on their own, as I
believe attendees of any event generally have a right to restrict it to
any group their prefer (and you explained the motive convincingly -
women feel unwelcome to ask basic questions). I understand that it does
look unfair when, on an event composed of series of lectures and
workshops which are accessible to anybody just *one* of them is
restricted to a particular group. That simply does look discriminating
and the argument that "we won't kick any male if he comes" makes it even
more disturbing. It's precisely the same patronizing behaviour that
everyone is trying to suppress in males.

And if we're reaching for our personal experiences as arguments, I have
presented or attended numerous OWASP events in Poland, Russia and
Ukraine, and women *there* were never shy to ask questions, whatever
basic, and nobody made them feel unwelcome. So while your argument about
people being ridiculed for asking non-31337 questions is probably
entirely valid *in your experience*, one explanation may be that it's a
general feature of  the particular culture on the place you're living
rather than a global phenomenon, and IT communities in other areas may
be more egalitarian and inclusive (which is my experience). In
consequence, the methods of mitigating them that are widely accepted in
your are may not be understood to the same extent in other parts of the
world.

Just as the discussion demonstrates.

--
Paweł Krawczyk